This vegan cheesecake recipe incorporates both agar agar and aquafaba as setting agents. Note that the agar agar must be flake (not powder) form, and the aquafaba is to be reduced before starting.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ½ cup chilled coconut cream
- 600g chopped strawberries, ripe
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 7½ level tsp agar agar flakes
- ½ cup reduced aquafaba (1 cup before reduction)
- Soak cashews in water overnight.
- Cool a springform cake tin the fridge.
- Reduce aquafaba on stove to thicken (you’ll begin with 1 cup and finish with ½ cup).
- Once you get started, you’ll need to work quickly, as the mixture sets quite rapidly.
Here’s what you do.
- Combine coconut cream, agar agar flakes, and aquafaba reduction in a small pot. Bring the mixture to the boil. Once simmering, whisk until flakes begin to dissolve – around 15 minutes.
- Blend strawberries, cashews and maple syrup until smooth. Add the agar mixture (which should not have cooled down yet) and blend all until smooth and well combined.
- Take your springform tin from the fridge and pour in blended mixture.
- Set at room temperature or in fridge. Decorate as desired.