Mousse often incorporates gelatin as a setting agent, particularly in fruit-based versions. Since this is a vegan mousse recipe, we’ve substituted agar agar for gelatin, as well as skipping the eggs and dairy cream.
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 cups chopped banana (ripe)
- 1 tablespoon agar agar powder
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Shaved coconut and pinch of salt to garnish
Here’s what you do.
- Blend bananas until smooth.
- Bring water to boil in a pan. Once simmering, add agar agar and whisk for around 5 minutes.
- Whip coconut cream with sugar until fluffy in texture.
- Slowly whisk together the agar agar, cream and banana.
- Divide into serving glasses or bowls, then place in fridge until firm (as a guide, allow 4-6 hours setting time).
- To serve, top each serving with a few coconut shavings and a pinch of salt to taste.