This jelly-like, layered dessert, inspired by a Thai dessert, features a sweet coffee flavour balanced with lightly salted coconut. A streamlined treat that’s a great pick-me-up!
- 2.5 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons agar agar powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (preferred over espresso for this recipe)
- 3 cups water
Here’s what you do.
- Whisk together coconut milk and salt with one quarter of the sugar and half of the agar powder in a saucepan.
- Bring to a hard boil for 40 seconds, ensuring that mixture does not boil over, then remove from heat.
- Pour into square or rectangular tray and allow to cool.
- While coconut mixture is cooling, whisk together the remaining sugar and agar with the instant coffee and water, and bring to boil as in Step 2.
- Check on coconut mixture. In order to successful layer the coffee mixture on top, the coconut layer should have some resistance to the touch but not have completely solidified.
- Gently pour the coffee mixture over the coconut base.
- Allow to set for around 45 minutes at room temperature, or 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Cut into squares to serve.